“The most powerful way to up our mineral consumption is to consume a plant-based drink every day, by either blending or juicing vegetables and fruit together,” says Kimberly Snyder, nutritionist and detox specialist. Green drinks get their vibrant color from chlorophyll, a nutrient-rich pigment found in all leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, celery and lettuce, that cleans the body of harmful toxins, oxygenates the blood and helps boost energy levels.
The Green Rebirth Juice
This is an enzyme-rich green juice. It’s great for providing energy, detoxifying and alkalizing your body
It’s quick and easy to make, and you’ll probably find all the ingredients in your vegetable box.
- 1 bunch English spinach
- 1 handful mint
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Lebanese (short) cucumber, cut in half lengthways
- a few lettuce leaves
- 4 celery stalks
- 2–3 cm (3/4–11/4 inch) knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- 6 ice cubes
With the motor running, feed all the ingredients except the ice cubes into a juicer one at a time.
Pour into a drinking glass, add the ice cubes and sip slowly to enjoy its benefits.
The Green Power Smoothie
This drink will keep you going for hours and contains good levels of tryptophan, antioxidants, vitamin D, iodine and many essential nutrients for weight loss and detoxification.
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tsp spirulina
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- ¼ cup frozen berries
- 1 tsp probiotics
- 2 tbsp organic natural yoghurt
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 2 drops of stevia for sweetness
Place all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth.
The Green Glow Smoothie
- 1½ cups water
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ head of large bunch or ¾ of small bunch organic spinach
- 3–4 stalks organic celery
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
- 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
- 1 organic banana
- Juice of ½ organic lemon
- 1/3 bunch organic coriander (stems okay)
- 1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems okay)
Add the water and chopped head of romaine and spinach to the blender. Start the blender on a low speed and mix until smooth.
Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple and pear. Add the coriander and parsley if you choose. Add the banana and lemon juice last.