According to the findings of a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition pomegranate juice has powerful anti-atherogenic properties. That means that regular consumption of the pomegranate’s juice can prevent fatty deposits accumulation in the arterial wall. This amazing property is mostly due to its high levels of antioxidants.
Pomegranate contains high levels of polyphenols and other antioxidants which play an important role in the prevention of atherosclerotic lesions and decrease oxidation of LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol. Many other studies confirm these findings and provide even more evidence about pomegranate’s oxidative stress reducing properties as well as its anti-inflammatory effects in the blood vessels, both of which prevent the formation of ominous plaque in the arteries.
What Happens When Arteries Get Clogged?
Our arteries are very important and delicate blood vessels. They are essential for the everyday bodily operation as well as for proper blood circulation from one organ to another.
When arteries get clogged, the oxygen circulation and blood flow get reduced. Additionally, if your arteries start functioning irregularly, plaque starts accumulating in the arteries around your heart. This is not just one artery but many more which could cause significant damage to your cardiovascular system if left untreated.
According to scientific research pomegranate has the following health beneficial properties:
- Anti-inflammatory properties – inflammation is often the major culprit in the development of chronic conditions, including heart disease.
- Anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties – the development of secondary viral and bacterial infections is a common condition which happens as a result of arterial plaque buildup,
- Reduces heart enlargement
- Potent antioxidant properties – eases oxidative stress in the blood.
- Helps in the prevention of lipid accumulation in the heart muscle.
- Helps with hypertension – the juice can inhibit the angiotensin converting enzyme, and enhance nitric oxide, which are excellent methods for blood pressure reductions.
- Reduces monocyte chemotactic protein-1 and fibrosis in the myocardium.
- Reduces ECG abnormalities.