Background to “Fatness”
Worldwide obesity has more than doubled since 1980. It`s even scarier the fact that young people, even children, are gaining weight much faster than before. According to medical experts, there are many small children who are obese, and there are even babies who are born clinically obese. Latest statistics have found that in certain districts in India, over 40% of the population are overweight, and soon, half of the world`s population will be overweight. This is shocking since overweight and obesity pose serious health risks.
Problems with being overweight
- People who are overweight are at higher risk of developing various health issues and disease, including high blood pressure, cardiac problems, diabetes, ulcers, digestive disorders, thyroid problems, gout etc.
- According to medical experts, obesity can lead to physical and psychological stress.
- Obese people consume more food than needed. Latest statistics have found that over 1/3 of the world`s population eat 50% more food than needed, and overeating will soon pass half of the world`s population.
Why do we become overweight?
Apart from overeating, obesity can also occur due to different factors, and the worst of all is that we don`t notice the actual problem until it`s too late.
Here are some of the most important reasons why we gain extra weight:
- Unhealthy lifestyle- this is one of the most common reasons for obesity. This is often accompanied by lack of sleep and too much work.
- No physical activity- many people around the world have desk jobs, and they do not pay much attention to their physical health. They spend most of their time sitting in front of the computer and go to work by a car.
- Eating junk food- many people around the world eat fast food more than three times a week. This food is the worst enemy to your health. Therefore, you should avoid junk food and eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc.
- Too much processed food- this food is high in sodium and you should avoid it.
- Flour, bread, bakes, pastries and fried food- a number of people eat these foods every day, not knowing that baking goods are one of the major causes of obesity.
The million-dollar question – are we overweight?
Here are some beneficial tips which can help you find out:
- Try to weight yourself more often and see whether you have gained some extra pounds in the past few weeks. If you have, try to change your diet and make some lifestyle changes.
- The percentage and waist to hip ratio can indicate whether you are gaining weight. The established ranges should not be passed. For women, the range is 25% – a 2-3% increase is normal. But, if you were 22% before, and now you are 25%, it means that you need to be careful. Do not check your BMI or lean body mass since it will only confuse you.
- Your clothes are certainly the easiest way to find out whether you have gained fat.
- If someone has recently noticed that you have gained some weight, it`s about a time for you to make some lifestyle changes.
- Ask yourself this simple question? – are you eating more and get frequent cravings?
Fast weight loss diet plan
- Avoid snacks, and drink more lime juices, smoothies, seasonal fruit or salad. Do not eat snacks more than 4 times a day.
- Try to start and end your day with a glass of water.
- Avoid fast food, including pizza, fried foods, canned food, sweets, pastries, hot-dog, foods rich in sodium or chemicals and preservatives.
- Eat more lightly cooked vegetables.
- Walk at least four times a day for 15 minutes, before meals.
- Try to eat less than you feel you need. Eat small meals so that you can feel hungry every three hours.
- Do not drink water during and after meals.
- Eat more soups, drink more milk. 25-30% of your diet should consist of liquids, and the rest can be solid food.
- Avoid drinking too much coffee, canned juices, soft drinks, and alcohol.
- Avoid eating after 8pm. If you feel hungry, drink a cup of milk or eat a piece of fruit.