As opposed to typical weight loss diets, an alkaline diet primarily aims at restoring your pH balance and boosting your energy levels. In order to enjoy optimal health, our blood pH should remain slightly alkaline, and to ensure this alkalinity, we should eat more alkaline-forming foods and fewer acid-forming foods.
What most people aren’t aware of is that a diet rich in acidic foods creates a favorable environment for fungus and yeast proliferation, thus making you more susceptible to infections. Also, an acidic diet reduces oxygen levels in cells, thus compromising cellular function and leading to cancer cell growth.
Another thing an alkaline diet targets is healthy weight loss. This is just one of the reasons why this diet will never leave you feeling starved or anxious.
This dietary regime is based on daily consumption of 75% alkaline-forming foods and 25% acid-forming foods.
Acid-forming foods that can be consumed during one day include:
- Meats: pork, beef, veal, tuna, poultry, seafood, processed meat.
- Fruits: plums, tangerines, raspberries, cranberries, pomegranate, cherries, pineapple, apples, peach, grapefruit, apricot, strawberries, papaya, gooseberries.
Alkaline-forming foods that should be consumed throughout the day include:
- Vegetables: garlic, broccoli, onion, ginger, seaweed, potatoes, tomatoes, cauliflower, kale, coriander, carrots, peppers, cabbage, green salad, beans, zucchini, watermelon, cucumbers, celery, artichoke, radishes, horseradish.
- Fruits: bananas, coconut, figs, avocado, lime, lemon, orange, mango, pears.
- Other: pumpkin seeds, chestnuts, poppy, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, olive oil, basil, barley, rye, millet, soy milk, sea salt, green tea, apple cider vinegar.
ALKALINE DIET DAILY MENU
This is just one example of how your alkaline diet daily menu should look like:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a slice of whole bread, 1 fresh tomato and a cup of ginger tea.
Snack 1: a banana and a handful of pumpkin seeds.
Lunch: vegetable soup, beef with green salad.
Snack 2: an apple and a handful of almonds.
Dinner: roasted chicken (150g) with green salad or fish with mixed salad.
You can also include lemon juice (unsweetened!) to each meal.
Make sure to have 3-4 hours span between meals.
Don’t avoid physical activity.
As an alkaline diet does not give instant weight loss results, nor short-term effects, it doesn’t give the yo-yo effects of other weight loss diets. Also, if followed for a longer period of time, it gives long-term effects.