First thing everyone notices besides our face is our hair, so it is very important for our looks. Why else would anyone spend so muchmoney,time and efforts to find that most suitable hairstyle for one’s face? Different hair gives you a different personality. So don’t worry about the hair loss you have noticed recently, there is nothing unnatural here. Even if you are losing only the normal amount of hair but want to have thicker hair, you may do so through various remedies for hair growth. So here we have for you 6 (plus one super tip) hair growth remedies with which you can have a good volume of hair without costing you a fortune for clinical treatments!
Home Remedies for Hair Growth
1. Onion juice- smelly but effective remedy for hair growth
Onion does not only give your food taste, but it also makes your hair multiply and grow effectively. Why? Because onion juice has sulphur in it which boosts the production of collagen tissues. These tissues assist in re – growth of your hair. You will only need red onions, even shallots would do.
- Take 2 to 4 onions.
- First grate the onions and squeeze the juice out of them.
- With this fresh onion juice,massage your scalp.
- Let it stay on for, preferably one hour. If not, leave it there at least for 15 minutes.
- Then wash off your hair with water and a mild shampoo.
Alternative method for using onion for hair growth
If you are scared of irritation and tears in eyes due to grating of onions while taking out its juice, you can use onions in another way. Here’s what you need to do:
- Chop 4-5 onions.
- Take a liter of water and boil it.
- Add the chopped onions into the boiling water.
- Let it boil with the onions inside for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove it from the stove and let the water cool down.
- Now strain it and use the water to wash your hair after using shampoo.
- Do not rinse your hair with other water that day,if you can stand the smell. Next day shampoo your hair and use clean water to wash it off.
- If you can’t stand the smell, at least do not wash off with clean water for an hour. After that shampoo and rinse your hair with clean water.
Onion not only lends your hair with a fabulous sheen but also helps in re growth of hair.
2. Potato Juice- yet another vegetable that helps your hair grow
No, we are not in a vegetable juice shop nor are we cooking food in your kitchen but these vegetables can really do miracles when it comes to hair growth. Same as with onions, you can also use potatoes to grow your hair. In fact, potato juice can even cure thinning of hair due to ‘alopecia.’ Potatoes are rich in certain vitamins like vitamins C, B and A. Your hair gets brittle and dry,when your body lacks these vitamins. So, you must have those foods that are rich in these vitamins. Using potato juice on hair directly is beneficial also. Take 3-4 potatoes, grate them and squeeze out the juice from it. Massage your scalp with this juice for at least 15 minutes. Rinse it off with water. You can use this potato hair mask, instead of using just the potato juice, if your hair is very dry.
- 3 Potatoes
- Egg yolk- from one egg
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Grate and squeeze out the juice from potatoes.
- Add honey and the egg yolk to this juice.
- Mix well to get the potato hair mask.
- Apply on your scalp and leave it on to do its magic for at least ½ hour.
- Wash off with water and mild shampoo.
The honey and the egg yolk add a good amount of moisture to the potato juice which is beneficial for your dry hair. This hair mask helps in growing hair faster.
3. Eggs give extra protein to grow extra hair
Hair is primarily made up of protein. In fact, what’s the better way to grow hair than to provide it with one of the best proteins- the egg white? What you need to do is take 1 or 2 eggs mix them and massage your scalp with the mixture. Let it sit on your hair for an hour, preferably covered with a shower cap or a plastic cap. Then wash it off with water and a mild shampoo. You may even make an egg mask for your hair to give it extra strength and shine.
For egg hair mask, you will need:
- 1 – 2 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix thehoney,egg whiteand olive oil well to make the egg hair mask.
- Apply this mask on your scalp carefully. Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Let it work for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with water and mild shampoo.
4. Rinse Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar or ACV, has many benefits for your hair. It stimulates the hair follicles and help them grow faster. Apart from maintaining the pH balance of hair it also cleanses the scalp which accelerates hair growth. You just have to use this vinegar as an after-wash rinse. Each time you shampoo your hair, mixACV with water and use it as a final rinse for your hair. Although it has a mild smell that doesn’t bother anyone too much, yet if you want your hair smell good even when they grow with apple cider vinegar, just add a couple of drops of some essential oil (such as lavender oil) to your mixture of apple cider vinegar and water.
5. Use Fenugreek- the age old remedy for hair growth
In many parts of the world Fenugreek has been used to treat hair fall for thousands of years now. You can use this spice,even for growing hair.
You will need:
- 2-3 tablespoons ofFenugreek seeds
- A large pan filled with water
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in the water for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours strain it and use the water to rinse your hair.
- Don’t immediately washyour hair with normal water. Let the water stay on for at least 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, wash your hair with lukewarm water (never use hot water on your hair).
- Repeat this every day for a month and you will see your hair gaining volume and strength.
Fenugreek can also be used to make a superb hair mask for growing hair faster.
For Fenugreek hair mask, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds paste
- ¼ cup or more of coconut milk, if you have longer hair
- Mix the coconut milk and thefenugreek seeds paste well.
- Apply to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for ½ an hour.
- Now wash off with water and a mild shampoo.
6. Ayurvedic Herbs -AmlaShikakai Reetha- for strong and long hair
Indian gooseberry (amla) is well recognized as the powerhouse of antioxidants and vitamin C. Thus it fights off free radicals improving pigmentation of your hair and promoting hair growth and also helps in production of collagen. You can simply mix 2 teaspoons each of lime juice and amla powder and rub this on your scalp. After some time, rinse with warm water. This will help your hair grow. There is, however, another herbal remedy using amla which can promote faster hair growth by making your hair strong, shiny and long. For this you’ll have to make a shampoo at home using reetha,amlaand shikakai.
To make amla, shikakai, reetha shampoo, you will need:
- 100 grams of Amla or Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
- 100 grams of Shikakai (Fruit of Acacia concinna shrub)
- 100 grams of Reetha or soapnut (Sapindus Mukorossi)
- 2 liters of water
- Soak all the 3 herbs- reetha,amlaand shikakai – in water and leave it overnight.
- Boil the mixture in the morning, untill the water reduces to half.
- Let it cool down.
- Once the mixture cools, with your hands mash the boiled herbs to pulp in the water itself.
- And then strain and collect the homemade shampoo in another container.
- Use this shampoo and wash your hair.
- Do NOT try to rub the herbal liquid as you do when using regular shampoos. As your hair goes rough as soon as it comes in contact with this herbal shampoo,this will entangle your hair leading to breakage.
- The right way to use Amla-Shikakai-Reetha shampoo is to apply it over all of your wet hair and let the hair soak in it for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse with water,after 5 minutes, and apply some conditioner.
- Take care not to let the concoction enter your eyes.
This homemade shampoo will remove all the dirt and oil from your hair and scalp giving you healthier shiny hair with lots of volume. Use this amla herbs mix whenever you shampoo your hair for about 2 months. You will love the pace at which your hair grows.
Super Tip for Hair Growth
Apart from using one or many of the above remedies for hair growth, you should always conduct one thing regularly. At least once a week,massage your hair with some nutritious oil. Warm a little coconut oil, almond oil or olive oiland gently massage rubbing this oil on to your scalp in circular motions. In order to achieve the best results, leave the oil overnight on your hair. However, if you do not wish to do so or cannot, dip a towel in hot water, squeeze the extra water from it and wrap it around your oiled hair. Leave it on for sometime and then wash it off your with conditioner and mild shampoo. Warm towel treatment helps the massaged oil reach deep hair follicles, which in turn makes your hair thick, healthy and strong.