Majority of us buys fresh fruits and vegetables at a grocery store or market in a large bulk for a reason:
To save time and effort in going to the market every week to buy the same fruits and vegetables;
It is true that everyone wants to buy ingredients from the market or from the nearest supermarket to withstand more than 2-3 days without rotting. However, there are these simply life hacks that can make your ingredients stay fresh for a longer period of time.
Life hacks are as follows:
1. Well organize the fridge
It is best to found the optimal way to organize your refrigerator so that all products will be at least minimally visible. Thus you will prevent any of them rotting and remaining in the refrigerator and later spreading bacteria.
2. Vinegar so strawberries will not rot
Put 100 ml of vinegar in 1 liter of water. Put the strawberries in the resulting. Remove them after a while, dry them and place them in the refrigerator. Thanks to this procedure, strawberries can stay fresh up to 2 weeks.
3. Broccoli, Chinese lettuce and stalks of celery can be protected with foil
If wrapped in foil, these foods will stay fresh and crisp even up to 4 weeks.
4. Store fresh ginger in the refrigerator
Keep ginger in the refrigerator in order to easier peel and chop it. This way you will also prolong its shelf life.
5. Keep mushrooms in paper bag
Ordinary plastic bag creates moisture which accelerates the process of rotting. Moisture is released through the pores of the bag.
6. Onions kept in stockings can last up to 8 months
Keep separate each onion in stockings in a way that will separate them using a cord or rubber band.
7. Never keep onion and potato together
Many people keep onions and potatoes together. This error results for faster rotting of these ingredients.
8. Freeze fresh herbs in olive oil
Pour mixture made of olive or sunflower oil with fresh herbs in ice cube mold. When you prepare a meal you will only need to take one cube and you will instantly have basic ready for frying.
9. One rotten apple will rot all others
This is why whenever you notice that some of them rot, you need to immediately remove them from the rest.
10. Add little bit of butter onto the chopped part of the cheese
This way you will prevent dryness and occurrence of solid surface of the cheese. Once you apply the butter, coat the cheese in greaseproof baking paper and thus keep it in the fridge.
11. Keep potatoes together with apples
Apples will slow the process of potato sprouting.
12. Wrap banana stalks with plastic foil
If you apply this trick, bananas will last at least 5 days longer than usual.
13. How to store tomatoes?
You must never store tomatoes in plastic bags because they will rot quickly. Keep the handles down and arrange the tomatoes in a row in the refrigerator or in wooden crates.
14. Store previously chopped salad wrapped in plastic foil and a napkin on the inside
The napkin will absorb all the moisture that sticks on the foil and salad will stay fresh for a longer period of time.
15. Clean your refrigerator whenever you notice it smells bad
Do not let ingredients rot for a longer period in the freezer. Once you notice odor you need to immediately clean the refrigerator. Bacteria that discharge will spread everywhere inside the refrigerator and cause other ingredients to rot as well.
16. After purchase immediately bake nuts and then store them in the refrigerator
Baked nuts retain taste and last longer. Bake at a temperature of 220 degrees for 15 minutes and then store them in the refrigerator.
17. Freeze young onions in oil bottle
Make sure the onions are completely dry before putting them in the freezer.
18. Store herbs in plastic bags tied with rubber bands
This is a great way for herbs such as parsley or basil to last longer without drying.