Are you convinced that the only chemicals in cigarettes are nicotine, tar and carbon monoxide? You’re wrong! You enter in your body hundreds and hundreds of different poisons!
If you think that the main ingredient in cigarettes is dried tobacco leaves rolled into cigar, you are wrong. In cigarettes there are 597 other ingredients with the tobacco. The tobacco industry has become a master at mixing additives with the ingredients of cigarettes. Although some ingredients are added to taste, recent studies have shown that the additives are used for something much worse. The various additives are certain agents which increase the addiction to cigarettes.
The main ingredient in cigarettes is a green leafy plant that is grown in warm climates – tobacco. But some farmers use chemicals to grow tobacco. Some use fertilizers to make the land richer and insecticides to kill insects that eat the plant.
After they pick up the tobacco, they dry it and crush it with machines. Afterwards artificial flavoring agents and chemicals are added in the whole mixture. There are added certain chemicals in order for the cigarettes to burn.
Did you know that by adding ammonia to cigarettes, it enables faster absorption of nicotine through the lungs? This means that your brain gets a higher dose of nicotine with each breath.
The most toxic ingredients used to make cigarettes tastier and burn faster, are effectively creating addiction:
- Nickel is carcinogen and toxic, and in case if swallowed can cause gastrointestinal problems.
- Ammonia is used for household cleaning.
- Arsenic is used as a poison against rats.
- Benzene is used in making paints, synthetic rubber.
- Butane gas is used as the liquid for lighters.
- Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas.
- Cadmium is used in batteries.
- Cyanide is a deadly poison.
- DDT was a banned insecticide.
- Ethyl furoate causes liver damage in animals.
- Lead is toxic in high doses.
- Formaldehyde is a colorless, poisonous gas with sharp odor that is used to preserve corpses.
- Methoprene is an insecticide.
- Maltitol is a sweetener for diabetics.
- Methyl isocyanate – his accidental release in Bhopal, India in 1984, killed 2,000 people.
- Polonium is a radioactive element that causes cancer.
- Acetone is the main ingredient in nail polish remover.
The best – known chemicals in cigarettes
The three most common and most well – known chemicals in cigarettes are nicotine, tar and carbon monoxide.
- Nicotine is a poisonous drug that is the main ingredient in insecticides or sprays for bugs. In its pure form only one drop of nicotine on the tongue can kill you.
- Tar is a fatty substance that remains after the tobacco passes through the filter. When a smoker inhales a lot of tar, it can blacken its lungs.
- Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. Fume inhalation gas found in the exhaust of a car. This gas interferes with the human respiratory system and circulation.