The golden compound in turmeric, curcumin may be the perfect savior for overweight people – claims resent research published in Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. Curcumin function is linked with changing the structure of fat cells in the body and helps with burning calories.
Nowadays obesity is widespread condition especially due to common Western diet which includes chemically, extremely processed, evolutionary incompatible and genetically modified foods which should be blamed for many negative health conditions.
Besides the diet which is the main culprit for obesity, lack of exercise, exposure to endocrine disruptors, chronic stress, depleted microbiome are also quite important. Although enormous amount of money are spent every year on weight loss, bariatric surgeries and on synthetic and natural pills, the problem worsens every year.
Fortunately there is completely natural, well known and completely safe ingredient against excess weight. That ingredient is known as golden compound found in turmeric –curcumin. Curcumin has the ability to turn the bad fat cells into god ones. It also has other beneficial properties.
These days, people are trying more and more to consume “good fats” like avocado, olive oil coconut etc. But a very small number of people know that our body has bad (white) fat and good (brown) fat. To conclude, the environment, our diet and how active we are, affect our health as well as a lot of diseases.
The brown fat is dark due to high amount of iron mitochondria it contains. The brown fat can transform the significant quantities of dietary caloric energy into heat or thermal energy but the white fat is not capable of this. This is the essential difference between the white and brown fat which main purpose is to store energy for future. There is a big difference between these types of fats and it comes from stem cell lineage, the same one which skeletal muscle distinguishes from.
The white fat is mostly found in obese and overweight people especially in the stomach area which is proven to be one of the main risk factors for heart attack even more than smoking. That is why it is very important to reduce it naturally or to increase the brown fat compared to white fat.
The discovery of different types of fat in the body and the lack of brown fat compered to white fat in those with weight issues was essential for the experts to conclude that increasing the brown fat cell phenotype could be essential for losing weight. First, the study was based on the theory that with using cold temperatures the brown fat which helps against obesity will be increased in the mammalian body. But still there is a concern that this treatment with cold temperatures could have negative effect on the cardiovascular health. Furthermore a lot of people find this treatment unpleasant. That is why the usage of turmeric is more suitable.
There is a new study called “Curcumin induces brown fat-like phenotype in 3T3-L1 and primary white adipocytes”, which was made by several Korean researchers and it shows that curcumin is able to activate the formation of brown fat with these 4 activities:
- It increases the activity AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK). AMPK activity looks like a cellular metabolic master switch that improves metabolic homeostasis which is imbalanced in obese and overweight people.
- It boosts the production of new mitochondria which can be seen by increased fatty acid oxidation and increased activity of electron transport chain. Mitochondrial biogenesis can be triggered by other natural ingredients and therapeutic treatments as well. This is also very important for older people who lose muscle mass and have problems with brain function because it helps in improving the physical condition and mitochondrial disorders
- It increases the expression of brown fat specific genes. This is some kind of nutrigenomic “epigenetic modification which means that nutrient is capable of changing a cell’s patterns of gene expression “from the outside in, “and this causes a major change in the function and structure of the cells involved.
- It increases the protein levels of p-acyl-CoA carboxylase and hormone-sensitive lipase two indicators which are included in increasing fat-degrading processes (lipolysis) and in preventing of fat occurrence (lipogenesis).
Moreover, the experts also claim that curcumin has powerful anti-inflammatory properties which can also help in the fight against obesity because together with obesity, to prevent diabetes and heart diseases the body needs constant anti-inflammatory protection.
Another action is not mentioned in the study, but it was published in the journal Molecular Medicine Reports at the beginning of this year. It is about the curcumin`s capability to induce cell death in white fat cells which helps the body to stop accumulating unhealthy fat.
The author of the study made a conclusion:
“Our findings suggest that curcumin plays a dual modulatory role in inhibition of adipogenesis as well as induction of the brown fat-like phenotype and thus may have potential therapeutic implications for treatment of obesity.”
Curcumin’s Benefits Extend To A Wide Range of Health Issues
If we look all above mentioned facts, curcumin should be considered as pheiotrophic anti-obesity agent because it finds and improves different imbalances in the body at the same time.
What is even more important curcumin is proven to be capable of preventing, treating, and sometimes even retreating over 600 various health conditions. The most remarkable fact is that curcumin is safer than any common medicine which is proven by many cultures that use it for many years. You should try it especially if you have to choose between natural and pharmaceutical drug. Read about other benefits of curcumin:
- A cardiovascular tonic as significant as exercise
- Effective as Prozac against depression
- It can prevent the progression of prediabetes to diabetes in remarkable 100 % of those who were tested