Is Hair Dye Really that Harmful?
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France conveyed a study which showed that male hairstylists and barbers are at great risk of bladder cancer due to constant exposure to hair dyes and dangerous toxins they contain.
People who dye their hair regularly are also at great risk. The human scalp contains numerous blood vessels which transport the toxins from the hair dyes throughout the whole body. The chemicals in the hair dyes also cause various other serious diseases as leukemia and lymphoma.
Which Chemicals are found in Common Hair Dyes?
According to The Skin Deep Cosmetic database created by the EWG, there are 456 different hair dyes. Even 400 hair dyes are proven to contain hazardous chemicals which can cause:
- Ocular, respiratory, and dermal inflammation, as well as allergies.
- Intoxication of the reproductive systems.
- Intoxication of the nervous system.
- Intoxication of the immunity system and the other organs as well.
Chemicals found in “Chestnut brown” or “ash blonde” hair dye:
- Para-phenylenediamine and tetrahydro-6-nitroquinoxaline, which are proven to cause cancer in animals and also damage the genetic material.
- The DMDM Hydantoin preservative, which attacks the immune system and is banned in Japan.
- Formaldehyde, a preservative which is linked with cancer growth and intoxication of the reproductive systems.
- 71% of Coal tar, a well-known carcinogen
- Eugenol, ingredient found in perfumes which is proven to cause allergies, intoxication of the immune and nervous systems, as well as cancer.
The bad news is that these toxins are only few from the long list of toxins which are used in the production of hair dyes. That is why it is highly recommended to read the label on the hair dyes before you bye them. You will be surprised what kind of cosmetic products you use every day.
Why You Should Avoid Dyeing Your Hair?
It is proven that if you are exposed to hair dye for a longer period of time, you will start having serious health problems.
A study was conveyed in which 900 people were included. The first group contained participants who dyed their hair every month and the second group contained participants who had natural hair color. The study showed that the first group was at higher risk of up to 50% to develop bladder cancer especially in women who regularly have dyed their hairs for more than 15 years. It was also proven that people who dyed their hair for more than two decades were more likely to suffer from other diseases as well – like rheumatoid arthritis.
Is There Such a Thing as a Safe Hair Dye?
As every hair dye contains harmful chemicals, they should be avoided especially by pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers as the toxins are transferred to the baby and can cause serious health problems.
Things to keep in mind:
- Ask your hairdresser whether she/he uses herbal dyes and whether he keeps the shop free of odors and toxins.
- If you really want to dye your hair, dye it with some lighter shade. The darker shades contain more toxins
- There are some hair colors on the market which are more natural than others. The ones with henna, herbal dyes, or vegetable dyes contain less toxins.
- The permanent hair color contains more toxins, so if you still want to dye your hair, use temporary or semi-permanent dyes.
Women who have problems with gray hair before they turn 40, should visit a doctor so they can check if they suffer from hypothyroidism
How to make your own organic hair dye?
You will need these herbs and vegetables to make your own light hair dye:
- Strong Chamomile Tea (2 cups)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice( ½ cup)
- 1/2 cup strong calendula tea (only if you want more golden tones)
How they work? :
Apply lemon juice on your hair, expose it to direct sunlight and wait for several hours. You will look like you have lightened your hair.
Spray your hair with a mixture prepared of strong chamomile tea (around ½ cup) into 2 cups of water. Wait for several hours and your hair will become brighter. Better effect will be achieved if you are exposed to direct sunlight.
The chamomile tea makes your hair shiny and soft. Just use it after showering and do not rinse it.
How to Apply Your Organic Hair Dye?
Mix all the ingredients and then pour them in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle before use. It is recommended to spray it on your hair, brush the hair and then wait for 1-2 hours before you rinse it. For better results, stay in the sun. Apply this treatment several times a week.
You can also rinse your hair with this mixture. It will not dye your hair but in this way your hair will be shiny and soft.
Herbs for Red Hair
There are herbs which can make your hair red. But you must be aware that if you have darker hair it will have auburn tint and if your hair is lighter it will have a strawberry tint.