Fabric softeners reduce static, and soften and scent laundry. However, store bought fabric softeners contain many harmful chemicals that put your and your family health at danger. In fact, these commonly used household items work by leaving a thin layer of toxic chemicals on your clothes, which have long lasting effects unlike other toxic household products. These chemicals go from your clothes to your skin and further into your body thus causing a lot of damage.
Some of the most harmful ingredients in liquid fabric softeners include limonene, a known carcinogen, benzyl acetate, linked to pancreatic cancer, ethanol, linked to central nervous system disorders, benzyl alcohol, an upper respiratory tract irritant, and chloroform, a neurotoxin and carcinogen.
Homemade fabric softener works just as well and saves not only your money, but more importantly, your health.
The recipe for this natural softener uses essential oils, apple cider vinegar, baking soda and water.
- 800ml apple cider vinegar
- Essential oil (optional) approx. 20 drops
- 100gr baking soda
- 150-200ml hot water
- Mix the vinegar, baking soda, essential oil and water in a large plastic container of approximately 3-5l. Be cautious as bubbles will form in the mixture.
- When the liquid settles, store it in a jar and use it as a fabric softener normally.
- Be sure to shake it well before every use for the best effect.
- Use around 4 tablespoons of this mixture per washing.