What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose Veins are enlarged veins that can be bluish-purple or red in color. They can appear as twisted or bulging usually found in the back of the calves, thighs, or the inside of the leg. Varicose veins develop when the valves in the vein weakens and begins to fail which produces blood congestion.
What are the risk factors for developing Varicose Veins?
There are several factors that predisposes a person to develop varicose veins. Some of which includes:
As age increases, the valves in your vein tends to weaken and loosen its elasticity.
2.Hormonal Changes/ Use of contraceptive pills
Taking contraceptive pills or undergoing hormonal replacement therapy containing estrogen and progesterone can contribute to the development of varicose veins.
If you are born with a weak vein valves, chances are, you might develop varicose veins too.
4.Lack of Movement
Prolonged sitting or standing increases venous pressure in the legs.
If you are a smoker, it is likely that you will develop varicose veins due to lower limb venous insufficiency.
How Can I Prevent Varicose Veins?
Here are some ways on how you can reduce your chance of getting varicose veins:
- Exercise regularly with a special emphasis on your leg strength such as walking and running.
- Manage your weight to avoid placing too much pressure on your legs.
- Elevate your legs when resting.
- Eat a low- salt and high- fiber diet. Fiber which is found in fruits and vegetables helps to decrease occurrence of constipation, therefore, reducing your risk of developing varicose veins while reducing your salt intake can help reduce the swelling too.
- Do not stand or sit for long periods of time. Try to shift in your position from time to time. Stand up, move around or take a short walk if possible.
- Create and drink this juice recipe everyday
A Healthy Drink Recipe For Varicose Veins
- ½ medium sized beetroot
- ½ small pineapple
- 2 stalks of celery
- ¼ lemon juice
- ½ inch ginger root
Now you just need to put them in a juicer and blend them properly .Drinking this juice every morning will help you prevent varicose veins effectively.