Bath bombs are hard-packed mixture containing dry ingredients with specific color, scent and are sometimes covered with glitter. The great news is, you can make your own bath bomb and enjoy its miraculous effects.
Bath bombs are similar to the bath fizzes which very extremely popular in the 20th century. They were invented by one of the co-founders of the popular cosmetic company Lush.
There are rumors that Lush products are of lower quality these days. Namely, some have found dairy in one of their lip tints while they are known to be vegan. Therefore, they have been thoroughly examined in so that their ingredients will be precisely determined. Their most popular bath bomb, known as Sex bomb contains:
- Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone- This ingredient has been banned to be used in fragrances, and it can cause numerous allergic reactions. Therefore, it is not recommended for people with sensitive skin.
- Sodium sesqui- carbonate
- Propylene Glycol- This well-known toxin is commonly used in antifreeze, paint, and apparently, in Sex bomb
- Red #4, #27, and #33 as dyes
- Fragrance- Fragrances contain around 4,000 chemicals, many of which have carcinogenic potential.
Apparently, these products contain a number of toxic and cancer-causing ingredients which you certainly wouldn`t want in your bath.
So, it is recommended that you prepare your own toxin-free bath bomb and protect yourself from these harmful substances. Here is how you can prepare a moisturizing and healing natural bath bomb:
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of citric acid
- 1/2 cup of Epsom or magnesium salts
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Essential oils
- You can leave it white, or use some natural foods to color it. For instance, you use beet juice which will give it a nice pink color.
- Muffin dome or tin molds
The procedure is very simple. Combine the dry and wet ingredients separately and then slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir constantly. Note: The citric acid may create a lot of foam.
Finally, add the essential oils and food coloring ingredients.
There are a number of essential oils you can choose, including:
- Jasmine, which is a highly sensual essential oil
- Lemongrass, due to its candy scent
- Lavender, as it is extremely relaxing
- Lavender and orange for sweet relaxation
- Orange and lemon, in order to get a nourishing, inspiring and fresh bath
Also, you can make a combination of essential oils. Add 5-10 drops of the essential oil to your bath bomb.
Then, use a little bit of oil to oil the muffin tins or dome molds. Pour the prepared mixture in them. Do not fill the molds to the top since the citric acid expands. Next, allow the mixture to dry at room temperature in order to harden. Once they are hard enough, remove them from the tins or molds and you can enjoy your relaxing bath.
Optionally, you can cover it with glitter and keep it in a jar. This natural bath bomb has a number of health benefits and has amazing calming effects and incredibly pleasant scent.
Epsom and magnesium salts are extremely beneficial for your health, baking soda has alkalizing properties, while the essential oils will calm your body, relieve stress, and the coconut oil has powerful moisturizing effects.