This butterfly-shaped gland is located at the front of the throat, below the larynx and consists of two lobes positioned on either side of the windpipe. The thyroid gland secretes hormones which regulate many metabolic processes, including growth and energy expenditure. Two trace minerals are crucial for proper thyroid function – iodine and manganese. If thyroid function is interrupted it can become either overactive or sluggish, which in turn will affect the entire metabolism, leading to a variety of symptoms that are easily misdiagnosed. According to statistics, about one in 20 people experience some form of thyroid dysfunction in their lifetime and women are more at risk than men.
As mentioned above, iodine is vital for proper thyroid function and health. In relation to this, there’s a simple and low-cost test that can help you determine whether there’s sufficient iodine in your body to maintain normal thyroid secretions.
What you do is simply paint a postage size stamp on the inside of your wrist using some iodine tincture. This brown stain on your wrist can indicate iodine deficiency – if it fades in 24 hours or less, it shows you lack iodine, which will prevent thyroid secretion to the cells. You can also be on thyroid supplements, but iodine deficiency will inhibit your body from properly utilizing it.
IODINE PATCH TEST INSTRUCTIONS
- The best time to do the test is in the morning, optionally after having a shower.
- Using iodine tincture, paint a postage square size stamp on the inside of your wrist.
Iodine tincture is easily obtainable from any drugstore. Make sure you get the original orange colored solution as opposed to the clear solution.
- Note the time you do the test.
- In the next 24 hours monitor the coloring of the patch.
INTERPRETING IODINE PATCH TEST RESULTS
In general, the sooner your body absorbs the iodine, the more serious your iodine deficiency is.
1. If the patch starts to lighten slightly after 24 hours – NORMAL
2. If the patch disappears, or almost disappears in 18-24 hours – MILD
3. If the patch disappears, or almost disappears in 12-18 hours – MODERATE
4. If the patch disappears, or almost disappears in 6-12 hours – SEVERE
5. If the patch disappears, or almost disappears in less than 6 hours – VERY SEVERE
Luckily, you can do this test every 1-2 weeks so as to observe your body’s iodine needs. If the patch no longer disappears in 24 hours, you can adjust your iodine dosage according to the results.
Have in mind that whole food supplements are a better option.
In case you opt for Standard Process or Medi Herb supplements, consult your healthcare practitioner first. Below, there’s a list of the amounts of iodine in the Standard Process and Medi Herb supplements:
Thyroid Complex (MH)—600mcg
Trace Minerals B12—145mcg
Organically Bound Minerals—250mcg
Cataplex F (tablets)—95mcg