Is It Safe To Cut Off The Mold And Eat The Rest Of The Food?

Is It Safe To Cut Off The Mold And Eat The Rest Of The Food?

Apr 23, 2015 / By : / Category : General, Health, Recipes

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Plugin for AdSense.

Please go to the plugin admin page to
Paste your ad code OR
Suppress this ad slot.

Green mold which has adhered to the surface of the bread and other foods, as well as the dark spots on the fruit, are hardly visible to the naked eye, small particles that give the characteristic color of the mold.

Is It Safe To Cut Off The Mold And Eat The Rest Of The Food

However, you should know that the rest of it and its roots are hardly visible because they penetrate deep into your food.

Because spores colorful surface of food are just some of the mold, and cutting this part off, won’t save you from eating small portions of the fungus.

“Most molds are harmless, but some are dangerous,” says Nadine Shaw, technical information specialist from the US Department of Agriculture. “Some molds contain mycotoxins, poisonous substances that can cause allergic reactions or respiratory problems.

One of them is called aflatoxin, and is known to cause cancer, “says Shaw.

Mycotoxins can be found in the molds that grow on grains and nuts, but also can be found in grape juice, celery, apples and other products, according to the USDA. The aflatoxin is most common in corn and peanuts, and is constantly monitored by the Food and Drug Administration of the United States.

To protect from mold and rapid deterioration of your food, Shaw gives the following recommendations:

– Cover food to protect it from the air that has mold spores.

– Use well closed containers to store food and keep them properly refrigerated.

– Consume the remains within three to four days.