Effect of Smoking and Drug Use on Hair Loss
Smoking is related to hair loss and baldness, according to research by the US National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health. Other drugs have a similar correlation. If you are taking prescription medicine, consult your doctor or check the side effects to see if that could be a cause of your hair loss.
Medical Treatments for Hair Loss
If the natural treatments above do not work, it is time to consult a doctor. Hair loss can be a side effect of a serious medical condition such as thyroid problems or diabetes. Doctors will also run a blood test to definitively rule out any deficiencies.
If your hair loss is not caused by lifestyle, diet, or disease, then it is due to changes in your hormones related to aging. There are two medicines that can help treat this type of hair loss.
- Rogaine (minoxidil). Rogaine is an over-the-counter medication that is applied to the scalp. It works best on hair that has just begun to thin. According to Web MD, “[more] than 50% of users claim that it can thicken hair and slow hair loss.” Once you begin using Rogaine, you must continue to use it indefinitely in order to maintain its effects. If you go this route, Costco sells minoxidil at a significantly lower price than most pharmacies.
- Propecia (finasteride). Propecia is a pill that can treat more developed hair loss in men. It works by blocking the hormones that cause hair loss from reaching the skin. Consult your doctor before taking Propecia.
Homemade Natural Rogaine Hair-Loss Treatment Recipe
This recipe does not contain minoxidil, but worked for my own hair loss. You can see the story for how I discovered the recipe below.
- Licorice ( It has been proven that it kills the bacteria )
- Burdock Root. (This root also has been shown to relieve eczema, as well as acne, psoriasis, and other skin conditions.)
- Dandelion Root. (This root is filled with the vitamins and minerals discussed above, including vitamin A, B, C, and D, iron, potassium, and zinc.)
(1) Rub licorice in a glass and fill it halfway with water.
(2) Rub the burdock and dandelion root against a stone to make a fine paste.
(3) Mix the paste with the licorice water, and apply it to your head.
(4) Leave paste on scalp for whole day it will stick to your head like white cement. Dont wash your head until its necessary. (I used to apply it in the mornings and took it off in the evenings).
My Own Experience with Hair Loss, and What I Did about It
I first would like to share with you my experience with my own hair. When I was in school, I used to apply lots of gel on my hair to set it like rock-hard thorns. I applied gel continuously for five or six years, and when I was in higher secondary school, I was shocked to see that my hair was starting to fall out easily. I went to the pharmacy and asked them if they had any kind of hair loss treatment oil or something like that. They gave me some oil costing Rs 250. I applied it, but nothing happened—it was no more effective than using coconut oil.
Sometimes when I touched my hair or used a comb, it would be painful. Online, I bought a hundred products that told me, “Order this bottle and gain hair in one week,” or “Order this ebook; it contains healthy diet for your hair.” None were effective. I lost much of my hair. The middle of my head was particularly bad, and my friends began saying things like, “I can see your bald spot.” I was so lost as to what to do that I started surfing on net again. Again, nothing helped me.
Suddenly one of my friends fell sick. And guess what? His hair started falling out. The doctor told him that it’s some kind of disease, and it resulted in small bald spots on his head. He also tried many cures, but nothing happened. After two months, someone took him to an Ayurvedic doctor. The doctor gave him two roots and told him to rub them with licorice water to make a fine paste and then to apply it to his head.
He did exactly what he had been told. In 10 days, small baby hairs started coming in on his head—and with time, his full head was restored. I told him I also wanted those roots. So he took me to the Ayurvedic doctor. The doctor gave me two roots and told me to put water and licorice root in a glass, then use that water to grind both roots against a hard stone and make a fine paste of them to apply to my head. I followed his directions precisely, and applied the paste to my hair daily. My hair became thick, silky, and strong after washing the head with that paste. More importantly, it began growing back. An amazing hair-regaining recipe I had never heard before was restoring my hair, thanks to that doctor.
I wanted to tell others about these medicinal roots, but I didn’t actually know the names the two roots he had given us. But at last I put that together as well. I have discovered the ingredients, and you can get the recipe for free!