Onychomycosis, commonly known as nail fungus, is a fungal infection which causes changes in toenails. These changes usually begin as a white or yellow spot on the toenail, and as the infection goes deeper, it can lead to nail discoloration, thickening and crumbling of the toenail edges. This condition is very common, affecting 13% of all American or 35 million people in the US alone. It can affect both men and women and it can be a very unpleasant condition.
There are many under-the-counter drugs, creams and ointments as well as prescription drugs for this condition but the best way to make sure the infection is gone for good is to try some natural homemade remedies. They are free of toxic chemicals, 100% natural and very effective so if you suffer from toenail fungus we recommend you try some of the Ayurvedic treatments listed below.
- Tea Tree Oil: This essential oil has potent anti-fungal properties which can treat a variety of infections including toenail fungus. You should apply the oil topically, on the affected nail, but if you have sensitive skin you should dilute it with some milder oil like almond.
- Garlic: Allicin, a biologically active compound of garlic is a natural fungicide. For toenail fungus you should buy some natural garlic essential oil and apply it directly on the nail.
- Apple cider vinegar: A mixture of ACV with some warm water can be used as a complementary treatment for toenail fungus. Another powerful remedy against toenail infection is a homemade scrub of coarse ground rice flour and a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar. Scrub the infected nail with this mixture until the infection withdraws.
- Olive leaf: Olive leaves also possess natural anti-fungal properties, which make them effective against fungal infections.
- Oregano and olive oil mix: This is another effective home remedy against toenail fungus. Combine 2 drops of oregano with a 1tbsp. of olive oil and apply the mixture on the infected nail. Repeat the procedure for about 3 weeks and your nail will be cured.
- Rubbing Alcohol or Hydrogen peroxide: Soak your feet for 20 minutes in a mixture of equal parts rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and water. Make sure you dry them completely afterwards.
- Probiotic food: If you suffer from toenail fungus you should consume more probiotic food, like yogurt and kefir.
- Turmeric: Once again, turmeric comes to the rescue. Apply a paste of turmeric and water on the infected nail, leave it to dry off and rinse it with water.
- Onion: You can also try rubbing the infected nail with some peeled and sliced onion, it’s very effective against the condition.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is essential for healthy and fungus-free nails. Apply some vitamin E oil to affected nails once or twice a day and stimulate a healthy nail growth.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus?
Prevention is the best cure so make sure you take all measures of precaution in order to prevent the infection from reappearing and spreading to other healthy nails. You should:
- Maintain proper hygiene: Wash your feet regularly and keep your nails short and dry.
- Disinfect old shoes: Apply disinfectants or antifungal powders on your old shoes or simply throw them away to prevent reinfection.
- Wear proper shoes: Always choose shoes that reduce humidity.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public places.
- Wash your hands frequently: Especially after touching an infected toenail so that you don’t spread the infection to other healthy nails.