Joint pain is a common issue that normally results from injuries or arthritis. Older people are generally more affected with this condition, but it can appear in younger people as well, especially in those who are overweight or those who have had serious injuries to the joint.
According to a number of studies, one of the best treatments for arthritic and joint pain is regular consumption of gelatin. This easily available ingredient can relieve the inflammation and pain caused by osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis. Plus, it has also shown beneficial for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis, as well as for strengthening fingernails, bones and joints, improving hair quality, and recovering from stress-related injuries.
HOW DOEST IT WORK?
Gelatin is a protein made from animal products and contains collagen, which is one of the materials that make up cartilage and bone.
“Gelatin reduces arthritis pain probably because it’s just ground-up cartilage,” says integrative medicine specialist Chris D’Adamo, PhD, assistant professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore.
In a 2000 study, 175 patients suffering from osteoarthritis were given daily supplement of gelatin, calcium and vitamin C. The results revealed significant improvements on the patients’ pain levels and mobility.
According to Sean S. McCarthy of the Centre for Clinical and Lifestyle Research in Shrewsbury, Mass “Gelatin supplementation has the potential to improve knee function during activities that cause high amounts of stress on the joint.”
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GELATIN
- Gelatin is abundant in protein. ~ With 6 grams of protein per tablespoon, it’s a great way to add more protein to your diet. Even though it is not a complete protein, it helps the body fully utilize the complete proteins that are taken in.
- Gelatin is good for bone and joint health. It contains a high content of amino acids which can prevent the weakness and degeneration of cartilage in joints. With its anti-inflammatory properties, it can also reduce arthritic pain and inflammation.
- Gelatin improves digestion due to the fact that it naturally binds to water and helps food move through the digestive tract more easily.
- Gelatin can help in treatment of food allergies and intolerances due to its ability to heal the lining of the stomach and digestive tract. As a “leaky gut” is considered to be the main cause for these issues, once your digestive tract is repaired, you will no longer have these discomforts.
- Gelatin helps your body release toxins. Glycine, an amino acid found in gelatin, helps the liver to efficiently remove toxins from our system.
- Gelatin improves hair, nails, and teeth quality owing to the high content of keratin, a very strong protein found in your hair, nails, teeth and skin.
- Gelatin improves skin elasticity. As gelatin is in fact cooked down collagen, its regular consumption can significantly improve your skin quality. Plus, gelatin stimulates your body to produce more collagen.