In the interest of saving energy and money, many people substituted their traditional with low-cost energy-saving light bulbs. But, it turned out that this new generation of energy efficient bulbs is so toxic that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency set up an emergency procedure to be followed in case of a bulb breakage, because of the poisonous gas that is released.
According to a study conducted by researchers from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency, if this bulb breaks indoors, it releases 20 times the maximum tolerable mercury concentration into the air.
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Can Lead to:
- Cluster headaches
- Inability to concentrate
Energy Efficient Bulbs Cause Anxiety, Migraines, and Even Cancer. Reasons to Go Back To Incandescent Bulbs
1. Energy-saving bulbs comprise mercury, which is a strong neurotoxin, particularly hazardous to children and pregnant women. It’s most toxic to the brain, the nervous system, the liver and the kidneys. It can also injure the cardiovascular, immune and reproductive systems. It can often cause tremors, memory loss, headaches, anxiety, insomnia, cancer and even Alzheimer’s.
2. Energy saving bulbs can lead to cancer.
These light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens as discovered by a new study conducted by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory:
Phenol, a white crystalline solid that is volatile, mildly acidic and toxic. It’s usually obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture.
Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, is produced by the distillation of coal tar and is used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, is generally obtained as a petroleum byproduct.
3. Energy-saving light bulbs release a lot of UV rays.
It is scientifically confirmed that UV-radiation is harmful for the skin (can lead to skin cancer!) and the eyes and energy-saving lamps emit UV-B and traces of UV-C radiation. The radiation from these bulbs has direct impact on the immune system. Plus, it damages the skin tissues to the extent that proper formation of vitamin D-3 is prevented.
Finally, these bulbs are so toxic that they can’t be disposed of as regular garbage. These are in fact household hazardous waste. In case one breaks in the house, you should open all of your windows and doors, and evacuate the house for at least 15 minutes in order to minimize your exposure to the poisonous gas. But sadly, incandescent lights will soon be off the market as the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) orders the phase-out of incandescent light bulbs in favor of energy-efficient compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.