A bunion is a bony deformity of the joint at the base of the big toe often caused by wearing tight, narrow shoes, and high heels. Bunions may run in families, but many are the result form wearing tight shoes. Bunions sometimes develop with arthritis.
Women are especially prone to developing this deformity with nine out of ten developing bunions during their life. Though not always painful, bunions can really affect your quality of life. For one thing, they can be quite unattractive, but more importantly they are also annoying as finding fitting footwear can be quite an ordeal.
Although surgical treatment is also possible, these efficient folk remedies will help you get rid of bunions painlessly.
Bay Leaf Tea
- Add a tablespoon of crushed bay leaves in 10oz/300ml of water.
- Cook it for 5 minutes then pour it in a thermos. Let it stay overnight.
- Strain the liquid first thing in the morning.
- Drink it in small sips throughout the day. It’s important not to drink it all at once.
- Do this treatment for 3 days, but make sure you always prepare it fresh.
- Repeat the treatment after a week.
One of the results will be a more frequent urination which only indicates that the salt in your body is dissolving thus stimulating your bladder.
In only ten days of consumption, you will be able to notice the first visible improvements. Apart from feeling much better, your joint pain will also disappear. Your bunions will completely disappear if you take the bay leaf remedy for 2 months.
Topical Bay Leaf Treatment
- Take 5 large bay leaves, crush them finely and put them in 100ml of 96% alcohol.
- Leave the remedy for a week then strain it.
- Soak your feet in warm water to which you have previously added some baking soda (for example, 3l water with 1 tbsp. baking soda).
- Towel-dry your feet then apply the remedy.
- Finally, put on some cotton socks.
Iodine and aspirin mixed together can also be extremely beneficial for the treatment of joint pain, bunions and similar bony growths.
Regular soap is another popular folk remedy which efficiently relieves bunion inflammation and pain.
- Take some soap and shred it to pieces.
- Using the pieces of soap gently massage the bunions.
- Rinse the affected area well.
- Towel-dry your feet then using a cotton ball apply some iodine.
- Let it dry then put on some cotton socks.
- Do this treatment for 30 days.
Alternatively, you can treat your bunions using a combination of the same ratio of iodine and lemon juice. Apply this effective homemade remedy on the affected spots.