Double chin is a common cosmetic issue affecting many women. This unpleasant-looking face feature usually appears as a result of excessive weight gain and inactivity. In addition, aging also plays a role in the formation of double chin, especially because the skin loses its elasticity resulting in skin sagging. Plus, muscles that are not used frequently, including the platysma muscle that connects the jaw to the neck, lose their tone.
Last, but not least, excessive weight loss can also contribute to loose skin including the area around the neck.
Now, most women decide on a rather invasive procedure to remove their double chin – chin liposuction. This surgical procedure focuses on emphasizing the line of the lower jaw. But, it does come with side effects such as a rake like scar, which can be quite visible when the person tips his/her head back.
On the other hand, there are double chin exercises that can effectively emphasize your lower jaw and chin. Needless to mention, these are cost-free and completely safe unlike chin liposuction.
When done on a regular basis, these double chin exercises tighten, tone and build up the platysma muscle, along with other muscles surrounding the neck area. Once you build up these muscles, which may take a while, you’ll need less time to maintain it, as maintaining a muscle is much easier than toning it.
Double chin exercises
The following exercises are extremely effective in toning the lower jaw and chin if performed on a regular daily basis.
- Open mouth– Open your mouth as wide as you can and stick your tongue out as far as it can reach. In fact, you should try to touch your chin with your tongue. Hold the position for 10 seconds and repeat 10 times. You should feel your chin and neck muscles tightening while doing this exercise.
- Hanging head– Lie on a bed, your head hanging over the edge. Lift your chin moving it towards your chest. Hold for 10 seconds before you slowly lower your head to starting position. Do 10 repetitions.
- Chin lifts– This exercise is particularly effective for strengthening and tightening neck and face muscles. Stand with your back and neck straight then lift your chin toward the ceiling. Next, purse your lips in an exaggerated kissing position and hold for 10 seconds. Do 10 repetitions.
- Roll your neck– Stand with your spine upright. Turn your head sideways so that your chin becomes parallel to your shoulder. Make sure your eyes are looking off to the side, too. Roll your head slowly downward, then up to the other side. Do 10 repetitions.
- Platysma exercise– This exercise targets the muscle connecting your jaw with your neck – the platysma muscle. Get into standing position with your neck erect. Pull your lips up over your teeth while turning the corners of your mouth downward, as if you were frowning, in order to tighten the tendons in your jaw. Hold the position for 10 seconds then relax. Repeat 10 times.
- The tennis ball exercise– Place a tennis ball against your throat while holding it with your chin. Press your chin tightly against the ball then slightly release. Do 10 repetitions.
Aside from the exercises, losing some excess weight can also be beneficial for reducing the appearance of double chin and toning your jaw and neck muscles. The thing is excess weight results in accumulation of fat all over the body including your neck. This leads to formation of double chin. Last, but, not least, double chin exercises give optimal results when combined with a well-balanced diet.