Peripheral edema is a condition which causes swelling in the lower limbs as ankles, legs and feet and it usually appears due to fluid accumulation in those parts. These condition is not painful if is not caused by some injury. The swelling mostly appears in lower body areas because of gravitation.
Elderly people are more prone to this condition and because sometimes it can be linked with some serious diseases, you need to know whether you should visit a doctor. But do not panic because most of the times it is not life-threatening.
This condition can appear due to several causes. Mostly appears due to some medications or some specific conditions like;
- standing for prolonged period of time
- using medications against high blood pressure
- using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- taking steroids
- sitting for too long like during flights or car rides
- taking some antidepressants, like MAO inhibitors or tricyclics
- if you take testosterone or estrogen
Other conditions and drugs which can cause swelling in the legs, ankles and feet are:
- blood clot and leg infection
- the kidney, liver or heart failure
- menstrual period changes
- venous insufficiency
- lymphedema – condition which causes blockages in the lymph system
- preeclampsia which appears during the pregnancy and causes high blood pressure
- recent pelvic surgery
- Pericarditis – swelling of the membrane surrounding your heart.
The good news is that there are some essential oils which can improve the blood circulation and also there are great DIY spa treatments which are extremely effective. If you combine them both, you will achieve incredible and positive results.
Add 2 drops of lemongrass, grapefruits and cypress essential oils in 1 tablespoon of fractionated coconut oil. Then massage your legs, ankles and feet. You can ask someone else to help you.
For this treatment you will need 1 dozen of smooth stones.
Also find some large but shallow container which is big enough for the stones and your feet. Add warm water and 2 drops of cypress and lavender essential oil. Add flower petals for better effect.
Then roll your feet soles over the stones for a few minutes. You will feel amazing!
Reflexology can be really helpful when it comes to different kind of pains. This treatment with stones will reduce the swelling and it will also positively affect other body parts.
The Geranium essential oil is great if you have problems with poor blood circulation and it is also effective in making your skin younger. This oil will make your skin shiny and bright.
Add 10 drops of Germanium oil in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and massage your hands towards the elbows and your feet towards your knees. This oil is thought to be as one of the most effective, revitalizing oils as it makes the skin smoother and softer.