Not too long ago, we were told that the saturated fats in coconut oil would clog our arteries, even though islanders who eat and drink coconut are very healthy. However, new research has shown that coconut in all its forms is indeed good for us. The meat, water, milk and oil are all good sources of nutrition.
Coconut oil, in particular, has many health benefits. It is antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral. It also has several interesting uses.
Body Care Uses
• Swish coconut oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes in the morning for oral health and other health benefits. This is known as oil pulling.
• Brush your teeth with coconut oil, either plain or blended with a couple of drops of essential oil such as cinnamon, oregano, peppermint, or tree tea. You can even make your own toothpaste.
• Many essential oils are too potent to use full strength. Add a few drops of an essential oil to a spoonful of coconut oil and blend together, using the coconut oil as a carrier oil. Rub the mixture into your skin.
• Rub coconut oil onto your skin as a moisturizer. It is said to help prevent stretch marks and to lighten dark spots.
• Use coconut oil as a make-up remover (including that hard to get off eye make-up).
• Use coconut oil on baby’s bottom as a diaper cream.
• Rub coconut oil into dry hair and leave it for a few hours as a hair conditioner.
• Use coconut oil as a shave cream.
• Use coconut oil as a deodorant.
Health Care Uses
• To treat toenail fungus, add 5 drops of tea tree oil to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and rub onto nails.
• Apply coconut oil as a personal lubricant. This does not disrupt the natural balance of the vagina.
• Rub coconut oil into cracked heels. Note that cracked heels can be a sign of diabetes so be sure to check your blood sugar.
• Use coconut oil to relieve the discomfort of sunburn.
• Use coconut oil to relieve the itch of bug bites and to promote healing.
• Use coconut oil as a tasty moisturizer for chapped lips.
• Use coconut oil on abrasions to help skin heal faster.
• Apply coconut oil to stop the burning and itching of hemorrhoids.
• Apply coconut oil to kill topical yeast infections.
• The use of coconut oil soothes eczema and psoriasis.
• The use of coconut oil helps heal acne.
• The application of coconut oil kills lice.
• The use of coconut oil prevents and may help reverse Alzheimer’s.
• Use coconut oil to polish furniture.
• Use it to polish metals.
• Use coconut oil to season cast iron skillets and pans.
• Use coconut oil to revitalize scuffed leather.
Cooking with Coconut Oil
• Use a little coconut oil to sauté foods such as stir-fry.
• Replace other oils in recipes with coconut oil.
• Use coconut oil as you would butter or margarine.
• Add a coconut oil to smoothies.
• Eat coconut oil by the spoonful. Yes, it’s that good and good for you!
There are many more health benefits from eating coconut oil. Remember to always choose organic, virgin coconut oil for cooking and in recipes.