If there’s one drink that every nutritionist and health expert is going to advise you to take, its lemon water. Sounds simple, but it is actually a very powerful drink, and the perfect way to get your body ready for the day ahead. Lemons are full with vital nutrients, like magnesium, calcium, fiber, potassium, iron, vitamin C, and B-complex vitamins. They are pretty much like little yellow balls of healthy goodness! Combined with the hydrating H20, you’ve got yourself the ultimate wake up drink. Here are ten more benefits that you can get from lemon water:
1) Helps with Digestion. In Ayurvedic traditions, it is believed that toxins that are building up in our stomachs can cause diseases if not cleansed on time. Lemon helps your digestive system by stimulating the liver to produce more digestive fluid. It also helps it by adding more acid that helps break down food and flush out toxins.
2) Freshens Your Breath. Lemon helps you get rid of gingivitis and helps against toothaches. Just be sure not to brush your teeth for at least a couple of hours after drinking lemon water as the citric acid in lemon can erode tooth enamel.
3) Relieves Constipation. Lemon water is a natural way to relieve constipation as quickly as possible. Lemon stimulates the bowels, and it helps your intestines produce mucus, which is needed for optimal functionality. It also hydrates the colon and moisturizes dry stools.
4) Helps You Get a Clear Skin. Lemons are full of antioxidants that are needed by your skin in order to be blemish-free. These antioxidants also help decrease wrinkles. Fun fact: when used regularly, lemons can help diminish scars and dark spots!
5) Cleanses the Lymphatic System. Some medicine practices believe that a dehydrated lymphatic system is a general cause of illness. Drinking lemon water helps hydrate the lymphatic system. When it is not properly hydrated, it makes you feel tired, constipated, or just plain sickly. Lemon water can help you cure all these symptoms and also upgrade your immunity, which helps prevent them in the first place.